Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is it Okay when kids run inside?

Department stores, grocery stores, the mall, etc. I keep hearing myself saying, "please boys, we are not in a park. Stop Running Around!" How long do I need to keep this up? Perhaps my 2.5 year old just can't walk - he rushes, runs, skips and dances his way around. Who, as his mother, am I to tell him otherwise? It is not like they are climbing up on the shelves or deliberately running into people. Yet, that part of me that thinks this is not the place for this, I should be saying something... keeps pulling me to natter this and natter that about why "we don't run in stores." The main culprit here is not some out of control child. He is the same child who in response to me saying, "I am so proud of you and how well you are doing with your potty training," sweetly states: "Thank you, Mama, that makes me so happy."

As I write this we are now at home and the kids are playing in the living room. Again, my little one goes behind the cushions of our couch and I am ready to repeat: "Please get out of there. We don't go on there like that. Our house is not 'blah, blah, blah...' and he says, "I am just getting the car from behind there!"

Ah, the joys of parenting! When to just leave well enough alone?! any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually let my daughters run in big box stores, if they aren't crowded and if it's down aisles with long sight lines. I think that it's in part that I figure that giving them a way to act transgressively (but that I'm pretty sure is both reasonably safe and non-disruptive) will make it easier to get them to listen when it really matters. We have a similar policy with the couch. We're lucky, in that there's a living room that's ever-so-slightly more an adult space than the family room, and so the rule is basically that the living room furniture can't be treated that it's a jungle gym set: if you want to jump on the couch, do it on the futon.