Monday, December 29, 2008

Post Christmas - Revisiting Memories

My kids thoroughly enjoyed our special Christmas morning, which didn't end until around 1 pm. Unlike when I was a child if either one of them wanted to open the packaging and play with a new toy, we said, "sure." I recall growing up Christmas gift unwrapping was very organized; not quite militaristic, but almost. My younger brother and I were given the task of assembling a pile in front of each party with their gifts (which included my Dad, Mom, Grandpa, Nana, my brother and me). Once the gifts were properly in place the adults began, beginning with the oldest. One after the other, followed by a thank-you and a hug. Finally, it was our turn. We alternated. No sooner was the item visible and I recall the other person being told to start opening. There was no time for discovering the ins and outs of the gift; that would have to be saved for later. Once the festivities were complete (approximately 1-2 hours later) my Mom and Grandpa began to cook breakfast (which was always delicious). Here I would start to place the gifts under the tree to admire all our good fortune. Within minutes, though, I would be asked to take my gifts up to my room. Later than day other than the tree still standing there would be no evidence of what went on there that morning. I have no resentment. Rather, just a strong reason for wanting something else for my own family.

I remember wanting to explore, to pause, to play and now want to give my children that opportunity. So, Christmas morning was a relaxed process of gift opening and playing, hugs and kisses, memories made. We stopped and had breakfast after the kids examined what Santa had left. Once all the kids' gifts were opened it was our turn! I will admit that they paid far more attention to their new favorite things than their Mom and Dad opening their gifts. Really, what else would you expect (or want) for 3 and 5 year old boys?

What great memories! So, while some things like new underwear and clothing we have already worn made their way upstairs over the past couple of days, there remains much evidence of Christmas morning - from stickers and games to books and toys. Some are under the tree, while others are being played with right now! "Would you read this book to me please, Mom," B1 asks. How can I say no?

No comments: