Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Are you the boss of the family?"

I recall several weeks ago B1 asked me, "Mom, are you the boss of the family?" I replied quickly, "No, your Dad and I are both in charge of this family equally." I also stated, though, "Mommy is the one who organizes everything." I like to think of myself as the heartbeat of the whole organization - the lifeblood if you will.

Hockey practice for B1 today 9:15-10:15 am - clearly written in my hand writing on the family calendar. Yet, there was a hockey practice Friday and a game yesterday, so I just figured there wasn't one this morning. DOAD asked me yesterday if there was a practice and I told him I didn't think so (according to my recollection anyway).

Off DOAD went to work this morning... oh, nope he looked at the calendar and saw, yes there was, in fact, a practice. Moments later I came downstairs, found this out (at 8:43 am!) and said, "OK, I'll take him" (B1 was, of course, still sound asleep). Being an assistant coach and a dad of all dads this was out of the question: "No, I'll take him," and he did.

Guilt? Regret? Shame? As the family organizer this was my responsibility to know that the practice was this morning and to ensure everyone was where they needed to be - to orchestrate it all. Was I so irresponsible?

Being solely in charge of organizing this kind of stuff (the little and large of family life) is a considerable task!

I am so thankful that I do not have to bare the brunt of facilitating and undertaking each family detail alone.

DOAD is the HOAH too!

No comments: