Monday, June 15, 2009

Running as a Metaphor for Mothering


I have been engaged in this research project – Mothering Contexts Study– for about one month – soliciting mothers’ participation and doing in-depth interviews. Another activity that has taken up much of my time is running. I am training to complete the fifth leg of the Canadian Death Race (August 1 and 2, 2009 in Grande Cache, Alberta). Several weeks ago I admitted to one of my friends that I am starting to see myself as a “runner,” not simply someone who runs, or ‘just’ jogs. She agreed! Until this morning’s run, though, running and mothering were two separate activities, at least in my head. While I have a jogger (which we call “the running stroller!”), that I have pushed my kids in running behind for years, I still didn’t see the two things as related very much indirectly, never mind directly. While on a 15 km run this morning (scratch that – MY 15 km run), it became very clear to me how very much running is intertwined in my mothering life – and I think, vice versa. In both I surprise myself at how much I am able to do, how much I get out of both running and mothering and overall how each has changed me as a person.

35 Ways Running is like Mothering

~Like running, mothering …
• takes a while to find your stride
• is about time management
• is on the course training
• makes you sweat
• wipes you out
• requires that you ‘breathe’
• is easier with a friend
• is better with a warm-up and cool-down
• has risks and rewards
• is about making time
• requires energy (sometimes more than we have)
• appears easier than it is
• is about stages, phases, and events
• can cause pain
• requires planning
• requires flexibility
• can be done with and without technical assistance and expert knowledge
• is sometimes plodding along, sometimes breakneck speed
• is empowering
• is all encompassing
• is accompanied by an amazing, incomparable feeling that can only be
understood if you’ve felt it (like a runner’s high – a Mom’s high!)
• is not about getting to the finish line
• is always about more than just you
• carries over into other areas of your life
• gives you more than it takes from you
• offers opportunities for personal fulfillment and growth
• is a psychological, bodily, social, and spiritual experience
• offers life lessons
• challenges more than our body
• engages and inspires those who are willing to be open to the possibilities
• provides moments of brilliance and darkness
• looks different depending on who’s doing it
• brings true happiness
• is soul work – love

1 comment:

kelsey said...

love the list! guess getting up early has paid off:)