Friday, October 23, 2009

UN Day 2009

Today I took my children to my workplace and they participated in a UN Day Celebration. They got to hear about peace initiatives, Canada's role here and abroad, and the importance of civil society in bringing about social justice. My sons got to light a candle to represent the UN's Millennium Goals, which was so adorable. Another highlight was watching doves (homing doves) be released to symbolize peace and freedom. (I think they also really enjoyed the cake!)

Thanks dudes!

It was also really cute former students came up to me and asked, "Were your kids here today?" I could proudly state yes, knowing they recalled the pictures I had shown in lectures. Obviously they made an impression!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Joanne: So great your boys got to participate in that! You will definitely have some socially conscious kids that will change the world!

Just wanted to say hi! I still tell moms about your survey and hope some of them have participated. Also, the momoir writing project has been such an amazing experience and I hope that some of your blog-followers will check out The Momoir Project! http://www.themomoirproject.com/

Mommy Is said...

Thanks, Lori!

Mommy Is said...

Can you tell us more about your experience with the Momoir Project please?

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne: Well, the Momoir project is designed so that you can write as little or as much as you want. In class, she gives us a "writing spark" something like "The First Time" and you interpret whatever way you want. I am so amazed that in 10 minutes, the time we are given, we can actually produce a little piece about our lives, reflecting on motherhood, that is so coherent and articulate. We have had experiences from postpartum depression, domestic violence, to pure lovely memories of our babies, the birth stories, and so much more. It is a very warm and supportive environment. We all have to write a "big" essay about some topic we chose for ourselves. I am writing about how being a disabled mom has changed how I parent. I had thought I would be writing for my son but in fact, I am writing more for me and for other moms. Some of it is for him but I feel that we all have experiences we want to share with other moms. It is also a good way of trying to make sense of your own feelings about motherhood.

And it is really fun! I didn't expect that part. It is fun to explore these memories and talk about them, swapping "war stories" so to speak. On the Momoir Project website, you can read some of the "momoir" writings. It is much easier to write with the structure that you are given than you think it is. Rather than just stream of conciousness, journal writing style, it is more "journalistic." What I have written so far probably will give my son a sense of who I am in a more complex real way than just reading some memories written down (although I have some of those too).