Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back in the Classroom

Over my holiday break I started to teach B1 how to read. He is incredibly smart, imaginative and more than capable of beginning this process. He is eager and willing, especially as this gives him special time with Mommy and WITHOUT B2. So, how can said Mommy "relax" about the process when the little reader has a tendency to look everywhere but to the page and the word I am pointing to? FOCUS, kid! [I think] I hear myself say, "Many children go to Kindergarten before they are able to read, so if you are not interested in learning that's just fine." Then, I back peddle as long "As long as you are having fun, Sweetie. Learning is hard work." This week I've been back in the [postsecondary] classroom, and I miss lying in his bed next to him, hearing his cute little voice repeat the phrases I read. Can a Mom really be two places at once? Better yet, how can I just simply enjoy being with my son, enjoying books without being the Professor?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see another mother navigating her life between mommyhood and other stuff. There are quite a few of us out there, I've found, so I hope you are also able to draw on the experiences of the collective. I look forward to reading your stories.

Mommy Is said...

Thanks so much gradmommy for your comment and support!