Saturday, January 26, 2008

All Children Matter

I have been thinking a lot lately about what social justice means and considering what social injustices stand in the way of children living healthy, safe, fulfilling, hopeful and meaningful lives. I believe that ALL CHILDREN MATTER. In theory, I suspect few would disagree with me. In practice, though, I see far too many examples of some children not mattering (especially children from some racialized groups, children living in poverty, whose parents are in prison, whose parents don't have housing, who act out, etc.). I believe it was Barbara Coloroso who said "Kids are Worth It" simply because they are.

Can (will?) governments, corporations, individuals and groups with so much power and privilege to really make a significant and meaningful impact take a stand? Who is willing to mobilize to change discrimination, exploitation and dispossession of the next generation? Respect kids because they all. More to come...

No comments: