Thursday, March 20, 2008

What do you need from me?

As I laid down this evening next to B1 I looked at that sweet, young face and thought WOW you are mine! What a responsibility I have for and to this growing being. I asked, "What do you need from Mommy?" Without a beat, he replied: "Love, [short pause] care." He looked around and then up at me, "There is one more thing." "Is it support?" I asked. Ignoring his mother [as only kids can], "to teach me things, he explained proudly. "Do I do these things for you?" (I had to ask?!) "Mommy, you sure do!" Wow! I must be doing something right.

I had an occasion today to share the story (see previous posts) about the woman and her mentor with a student who confided in me a difficult, unexpected situation she has found herself in recently. It was really great being able to pass on something that helped me so much in my own struggle to another woman (and given she is 14 years my junior, I felt proud to be like the mentor in the story).

No comments: