Tuesday, July 28, 2009

4 Days and Counting... NSPORK?!


... until my inaugural adventure race! Today I took B1 and B2 shopping for race paraphernalia. I needed a wind/water resistant jacket. I purchased a 'camel pack' (backpack hydration system), head lamp and a new pair of socks. Yes, I figure that a new pair of running socks will make all the difference (at least that is what I am letting myself believe). I wonder how many steps 22 km is? That's a lot of trail pounding. I have freshly painted blue toe nails, which I am hoping I get to keep. [I've been told, the last leg is a killer on the toes!]

Anyway, back in the mountain equipment store B1 was incredibly adorable wearing a huge camping backpack that would be large enough for a man of 6 feet (so just imagine what a lean 6 year old boy looked like in it!) He navigated the store with his little brother in tow seeking out resources, tools and other necessities for "rescuing animals on the brink of extinction." Perhaps some binoculars, a tent, definitely a head lamp...

Their most interesting find, though, was a "spork," (a handy camping utensil that doubles as a spoon and a fork, that even has one serrated edge that makeshifts as a knife). While B2 just thought it was pretty "cool," upon perusal B1 was quick to suggest the name should have the "n" sound in it - what about a NSPORK?

No comments: