Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Go Death Racer!


We are back from Grande Cache and forever changed!! The death race experience was absolutely amazing. Leg 5 was a killer and lifer at the same time. It gave much more than it took, actually. It was an intense physical and emotional journey over 22 km of trail, including lots of up and a little down hills. The part I loved to hate and hated to love was filled with tree roots. I only fell 5 times!

Here are several shots from the weekend that inspired me to physically go beyond what I thought I was capable of.


A portion of Leg 5, racers enter below across the river after a quick jet boat ride to continue!



It was incredible. I finished the leg in about 3 hours, which was pretty amazing. B1 and B2 and DOAD were there at the finish line to celebrate with me. One of my first comments, "Who wants to go for a run?!" Ha!









This experience really taught me a lot about mothers as models. It is not simply what we do "as mothers" that defines our mothering, but what we do in the world that influences both how our children see us and how they view themselves. What else do you do that influences who you are and how your children see you? Please let me know via the Mothering Contexts Study.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Joanne. Your boys are going to have an incredible role model to live up to. And what fun memories.

kelsey said...

Awesome pictures. glad i could be a small part of your training! only 5 falls??