Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mother/Work

Ever find yourself crossing that proverbial bridge before you arrive at the river? I have been accepted to two academic conferences in May. In both instances I have the opportunity to discuss the raw maternal moments of the last several months. I am thrilled as an academic and as Mama, PhD, but this presents challenges to me simply as a Mom. That is to suggest that my being away from home and family for the better part of two different weeks raises the question, "Who will care for my children while I am away?" [DOAD, of course]

Actually, being an academic himself he too is planning on being away in May. As life would have it there will be overlap and conflict in our travel plans. Playing neurotic, organizing, determined NOT to let this become an issue upon realizing this rendering of events Mom, I attempted (desperately?) to "fix" things. Dramatically reaching out to colleagues, to friends, to conference organizers (?!)... etc.

DOAD, even being the most understanding and accessible father that he is took a much different approach: "We'll work it out." One reading would have this as a much more rational and realistic response to this situation. Another (maternally inclined one) would point to the differential experience of parenting. Mothers mother. Fathers father. To what extent is the minutia of details and concerns I seem to fret with simply my own insecurities or rather how much of this comes from the mama mandate meets the ideal worker syndrome crashes against the demands of the academy? Perhaps, it is a little of all of that.

No comments: