Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Back to School

It is official - it's back to school! While B1 went to grade one last week, B2 started pre-school today and I was back at it teaching yesterday! It's got me to thinking about the dual roles I play as mother and teacher, as teacher and mother. After a four month hiatus there I was showing pictures of my children to another crop of (eager?) students!

I already feel the push/pull, torn between getting together the best lecture for tomorrow and spending time with B1 while he does his homework. The compromise: He sits at the kitchen table, while I work in the study, "We both have to finish our work first, then we can watch the video together." He settles for a "Good job" from across rooms. Meanwhile B2 meanders in and out of each of our work/spaces waiting patiently to learn more about endangered animals in the African wild.

There I was at the library looking for videos to show in my Introductory Sociology class and finding a couple I know my children would enjoy! I borrowed 3 possibly suitable ones for my classes, but previewing those will have to wait.

Soon I'll be cuddling my two sons as we transplant ourselves to Africa!

No comments: