Saturday, November 8, 2008

Be the Change

I have often wondered lately why despite being an honours student, a perfectionist and compassionate and conscientious child and young adult I never got heavily involved in politics, social justice organizations or more volunteer work when I was younger. Although I have always wanted to make a difference in the world, why did I not become an activist earlier in my life? (e.g. why did I not start campaigns in high school, or why did I not follow the earlier dreams I had in elementary school to change the world?). I guess in some ways I did. I got a PhD in Sociology. I teach students daily about social problems and encourage them to tackle these issues not from a distanced, academic perspective, but from a personal, passionate position. Yet, not until recently have I realized the desire I have to impact more than my own life. The intense passion in me to inspire not only my own children but to use my life - in all of its facets - to be the change I wish to see in the world. Ghandi's famous phrase resonates so much more to be now, as a mother. Even more still as a mother who has lost. Ever more as a mother who longs for more children.

The most amazing opportunities in life come out of the most unplanned experiences. As I follow my heart rather than my head (hard to do for an academic) my path has become so much more hopeful, so much more rewarding and the challenges therein much less daunting.

All children matter.
social justice.

No comments: