Sunday, November 9, 2008

Getting Along

Do you ever wonder, why can't my kids just get along?! Me neither! Of course I do, hence the reason for this post. I think (I hope) I have found a new strategy that will if not change behaviour at least keep me more sane, as I navigate the role of advisor, referee, confidant between two male siblings (ages 5 and 3). I bought a chart with 10 key getting along "dos." My new strategy? Instead of "boys, stop X, or do Y," I plan to ask a question, "Is that (said behaviour in question) polite, or cheerful, or respectful or whatever the particular getting along maxim that appears to be breeched. Then, as the retorical 'no' goes stated or not. I will encourage them to ask themselves, "How could I be ... ?" I posted this chart in my kitchen (at least until DOAD gets home tomorrow!)

No comments: