Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mother Guilt... If only


I had evaluated the evidence - the specimens included two male children, one man and one woman. Health status? 30 something man who is in the best shape of his life, the picture of health. Check. The oldest child, nose runny? No. Cough? No. Check. Me, well, haven't been at 'optimal' lately (ever?), but I waited until the cold and sore throat over three weeks ago that had kept me away had passed. Check, I had recovered. The little one, his cold started right after mine weeks ago. I had assessed the status of his health as better. Unfortunately, mother quilt kicks in when we are at friends' visiting their brand new, beautiful, one month old daughter and B2 starts coughing!! Not related, but I have to pass off the little sweetie to her mother because I get something in my throat that takes me into a coughing episode. Check? I had even drenched everyone's hands in sanitizer before entering baby zone.

This experience - or the questioning of it - makes me think back to a time when my children were exposed to stomach flu from another family and how horrible I felt. If only they had said something? If only I had been more vigilant? If only... If only... a refrain for new mothers. With a 5 year old and a 3 year old I wonder if I have eked out of that category or not!

To all those new mothers, we have been there.

1 comment:

michelle said...

J: we are the picture of health! not to worry... I knew that you had stayed away until you felt sure that everyone was well enough to visit. mother trust.
-mm