Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Myths Children Believe

A post I read on Writing Maternity about the ways our children's education reinforces myths and stereotypes, which moved me to make the following comment:

This is a very insightful post! I also really enjoyed reading about Geeky Mom's 13th son. In my experience (so far) raising two boys (now 5 and 3) I continually confront "opportunities" to reinforce or challenge myths and stereotypes about masculinity and boy culture, inequality, racism and so much else. Living in Canada and being a Sociologist I am deeply concerned that my own children (who receive the cold comfort and warmth of white privilege) recognize the various ways the First Nations or Aboriginal peoples have been historically and still today been exploited, alienated, and excluded. I am heartened that like many of us whose elementary educations masked Canada's colonial past (and present) there are young people today who are able to use these omissions in their own education to now question what they see going on today.


B1s class is currently doing a unit on "Fairies and Fairytales." This concerns me less after participating in the above discussion. Thoughts? ...

No comments: